In, “Should young adult books have age ratings?” Husna Haq
hints the importance of age ratings, and why authors should put a “Pg-13,” –like
rating on books. The article focuses on previous young adult authors, making it
clear, by them parting the genre, that young adult books have become too
gruesome, and graphic. Also, Haq explicitly mentions that parents should pay
more attention to what their children read. Because most likely, they are
reading books about vampires, violence, and more graphic material. A parent’s
job is to care for their child, but according to Haq, she hints that the
parents are not trying enough to shield their child/children from the graphic
material in books. Young adult books should have a corresponding rating that
determines the maturity, and profanity in young adult books.
Husna Haq wants her audience, which are most likely caring
parents, to focus on the importance of age ratings for young adult books. She
subtly hints her opinion which might not seem obvious to her audience. With the
opinion, Haq wants her audience to feel that the young adult books are very
profane. She uses previous young adult genre author, G.P. Taylor, to illustrate
her opinion. Taylor says, “I have changed my mind: I think children’s
literature has gone too far” Taylor had written a very graphic vampire-themed
book series, and with its release, many people believed it was gruesome and
graphic. The graphic material trough Haq’s eyes is another excuse to propose a
rating system for young adult books. Haq uses a lot of sources throughout the
text that support that young adult literature has “gone too far.”
Through my eyes and opinions, I as a young adult, that reads
young adult fiction, believe that it isn’t all that graphic. Yes, sure there
are some chapters here and there that I might have to put the book to the side because
it might be a bit graphic. But, that doesn’t mean that that whole book is a
gruesome, graphic, profane piece of writing. To my eyes it is a journey,
especially with young adult books (because I can connect more with the
characters), where I can live through the book, in an alternative universe. A ‘rating
system’ does not have to be proposed because there is a bit of graphic
material. If you have a problem with a book that you have heard to be graphic,
just put that book down, because why would you read a book that you know to be
graphic, just to criticize for fun? Young adult books are a source of
entertainment, not something to criticize.
I really like this blog post, I think it has some really good ideas. I think the part where you included who you thought the audience is for the article changed how I read the article and who Husna Haq was really trying to convince if young adult fiction is too dark. I also really like your last paragraph where you stated your opinion saying how you don't think young adult fiction is dark and I especially liked the part where you compared Y.A to a journey, great metaphor! Do you think that if the author was trying to convince a different age group on this topic, he would have written it differently?
ReplyDeleteIn your first two paragraphs you were trying to sound nuetral or opinion of the article, but in your second paragraph you wrote, "The graphic material trough(through) Haq's eyes is another excuse to propose a rating system for young adult books." The part when you wrote 'excuse' it sounds more like what you think about how the way the author puts it. I also agree to your opinion of the last sentence that's it's for entertainment but not something to critcize. However I think that putting a PG rating on it will let the reader before to know if it has graphic material in it. This is just in case that the reader won't want to need to any graphic topics.
ReplyDeleteI think it is very strong how you incorporated small details into the text that make it stand out more. Such as the audience Husna Haq was writing towards and how you say Haq uses lots of sources throughout the article to support her main claim. I agree a lot on your opinion, how if you don't like the books content just don't read it. One question i have for you is why do you believe young adult books should only be read for the joy of it but not also to criticize it?
ReplyDeleteThanks guys, and to answer a few questions, @Olivia Hudson yes, many authors have to focus on what age group would mostly make up their audience. If Haq was writing towards teens, she would most likely include quotes and details that would try to persuade to teen into thinking that young adult literature should be censored. @Feiran Mo, many teens want to read what interests them. Okay, maybe there is some graphic material that might make them put the book down, but if a teen is reading their favorite book series, they don't usually care about the graphic content, they only care about the plot. And finally @Jack Gwertzman I'm not totally sure what you are asking but i think you are asking "do you think that young adult books should only be read for the actual joy in reading it, but not criticized?" Well, to answer that question, no one wants their work to be criticized, unless it is constructive criticism, unless they actual benefit from it. Nor does a fan of a book. That person loves that book, they don't want people to find the kinks so to speak. A reader is there to read a book. If they don't like fine then, they don't need to criticize it. Reading is about enjoying, let's keep it that way.
ReplyDelete